Requirements before you begin:
- Added the YouTube Widget from the Signagelive Marketplace
- Article applies to all Media Players
The Signagelive YouTube App allows you to show YouTube videos within your Signagelive content and allows you to show any YouTube video, live stream or playlist of videos on your digital signage displays. You can incorporate the YouTube App in your Playlist or multizone Layout as per your scheduling requirements.
Please NotePlease Note: We at Signagelive recommend that you never use content that is not your own, however, you can read more about the facts and myths of content sharing here to make sure that any YouTube content you use is not breaking any of the rules set by YouTube or its content owners.
What will I need?
For Videos & Playlists
For watching a video or playlist you will need the last part of the URL of any YouTube video, stream, or playlist, which can be obtained from the navigation bar within the video or playlist page on YouTube.
It should be in the following format:
Videos/Live stream- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=########
Playlists - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=########
That section you will enter in the Youtube app on Signagelive will be the last part after the “=”
If you would like to watch the most recent videos from a specific YouTuber you will need their username (channels are not supported.) This is displayed in Youtube on their profile page.
You will only require the part after the @
The YouTube App is available within the Signagelive Marketplace for you to add to your Network now.
The steps to add the App are as follows:
- Login to your Signagelive Network
- Navigate to Content - Playlist - Create/ Edit
- Select the Upload button
- Select ‘From the Marketplace’
- Find the Youtube widget
- Select ‘Add to Network’
- Exit the Marketplace and go to your ‘Recently Added’ folder
Watch our video walk through here:
How can I use the App?
You can simply add one App or even multiple versions of it to your playlist like you would any other asset, or you can use the Widget icon within the layout creator to add a single, static App to your Layout directly.
Please NoteIf you are using your YouTube App within a Playlist, you should be sure to amend the 10-second default duration to match at least the length of the video or playlist being published. If you are using the App as a static App within a layout, it will refresh once every 24 hours as default and continue to loop (unless you change the looping properties within the App).
What properties can I change within the YouTube App?
You can configure the App properties to show either a single video, live stream or a playlist by pasting the Embed URL, found on the YouTube video itself into the editable properties of the widget.
You can also change other properties, allowing you to amend the following:
- Content type - Select the content type you would like to display from Youtube. This includes Video, Playlist, Users Video, Search.
- Username - This allows you to enter a YouTube Username. Please note that this is not the Channel name.
- Search Phrase - This feature will bring up videos with the search phrase you are using to discover videos on YouTube
- Video/Playlist ID - This will allow you to display Playlists from YouTube. To add a Playlist, open your playlist on YouTube and copy everything past list= in the URL.
- Standard Closed Captions - Enable/Disable standard closed captions.
- Autoloop Video - Enable/Disable Autoloop video
- Modest Branding - This parameter lets you use a YouTube player that does not show a YouTube logo
- Related Videos - This parameter indicates whether the player should show related videos when playback of the initial video ends
Please NoteOur YouTube app does not currently support auto-generated Closed Captions, therefore if you wish to make use of Closed Captions please upload and publish your own Captions/Subtitles to your videos.
Please NoteWhen using a livestream, it is important to ensure you enable the 'Allow embedding' setting within your YouTube Stream settings. The content will fail to render via our widget if this is not enabled ahead of deployment.
Additional NoticesSamsung Tizen: YouTube app does not work on Tizen 2.4 players.
AutoPlay Limitation: On devices supporting the browser client, the Auto-play property is browser dependent so we cannot guarantee autoplay functionality on all these devices. We know Airtame and Mersive devices work. The autoplay property works on any other supported player.
Offline Playback: YouTube content is not downloaded, so unlike most other Signagelive Apps, offline playback of YouTube videos is not an option, you will need to have a permanent network connection for continuous playback of your YouTube content.