This article should be used as a guide to assist you with setting up your Brightsign device to work with Signagelive.
The instructions will take you through installing and configuring Signagelive from the devices’ out the box state. If you have any issues during the process, please speak with our Support (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Sales team for further advice. (If you intend to synchronise your BrightSign devices then please check the guidance here before configuring)
Step 1: Check and update firmware
Begin by powering on your supported BrightSign device without a micro SD card inserted, this will lead the Player to power on and show the hardware information and the current Firmware version on the connected display.
We recommend that you update your BrightSign device to the appropriate firmware before configuring Signagelive, you can download the firmware files below and instructions for the update process can be found here.
Important NoteOn existing installs, the minimum firmware version supported by Signagelive is 7.1.65 on LS3, HD3, HO3, XD3, and XT3 players. Signagelive also supports version 7.1.95 and firmware 8+ from version 8.0.102, which is the minimum version required on new installs, being 8.2.72 the recommended version, on most of 3 Series models. The LS4, HS4, HD4, XD4, XT4 Series models only support firmware 8+, and the minimum supported version for these models is 8.0.102, with 8.2.72 being the recommended version. Please ensure that your device is running at least this version in order to work with Signagelive.
Download Recommended Firmware
- LS3 - Firmware 8.2.72
- HD3 - Firmware 8.2.72
- XD3 - Firmware 8.2.72
- XT3 - Firmware 8.2.72
- HO3 - Firmware 8.2.72
- HS3 - Firmware 8.2.72
- XD4 - Firmware 8.2.72
- XT4 - Firmware 8.2.72
- HD4 - Firmware 8.2.72
- HS4 - Firmware 8.2.72
- LS4 - Firmware 8.2.72
Please NoteFirmwares provided are the latest versions we have tested and approved and are not necessarily the latest available from the manufacturer.
Step 2: Generating the configuration files for your Brightsign
Use the Signagelive BrightSign config tool to set the timezone settings on your BrightSign Player. To do this, you will require the following:
- BrightSign Player
- Micro SD card (formatted as per this guide here)
- Laptop and micro SD card reader
Follow the steps below to configure the settings of your BrightSign Player:
- Open the BrightSign Config Tool
- In the Configuration section, select the timezone of the Player you are configuring
- Press the ‘Generate’ button under the timezone dropdown menu.
- This will create a file named ‘settings.json’ which will be added to your downloads
By default, the player is configured to connect using the ethernet port and DHCP. Should you need to change the network settings or are using the Brightsign wifi module, please see the optional network configuration setup at the end of this article then continue with the Signagelive setup.
Step 3: Imaging your SD card and deploying the player
- Download the latest Signagelive Client here.
- Open the Signagelive App zip folder on your laptop and extract all to the root of the micro SD card. (The "root" is the directory you open to when you first open the micro SD card)
- Add the settings.json file from your downloads folder to the data folder on the micro SD card.
- Optionally if you generated one add the network.json file to the data folder.
- Remove the micro SD card from your laptop and insert it into the powered off BrightSign Player
- Power on your BrightSign Player
Your player will now launch and after downloading its content, will show the Signagelive activation code. This should then be activated on your Signagelive Network using one of your active licences and when the player next successfully performs its content check, you’ll see the green tick appear to let you know the display has been successfully connected to Signagelive.
For further information on Activating your player, please see this corresponding article.
What will be on my micro SD card when configuring all the above?
Your micro SD card should have the following structure:
- network.json - optional if you configured the network
- sandboxUnsupportedUrls.json - included in .zip package
Optional Steps - Network Configuration
- Open the BrightSign Config Tool
- Configure the Networking options for your Player, choosing either:
- If choosing Static IP, enter all other configuration options
- Static IP
- If choosing Wifi, add SSID and Passphrase details
- Wifi - Requires optional Wifi Adapter Module
- This will create a file named ‘network.json’ which will be added to your downloads
How can I get further support?
For further support, see the Signagelive for BrightSign section of the Help Centre. You can learn more about BrightSign Player configuration options in the BrightSign Tips and Tricks article. You can also contact our Support team here if you require further assistance.
Please sign in to leave a comment.