How do I update the firmware of my device?
In order for your BrightSign device to optimally work with Signagelive, you will need to ensure that it is using the latest firmware available from BrightSign. You can download the firmware files from the BrightSign Knowledge Base before following the instructions below to update the firmware of your device.
The minimum supported firmware version supported by Signagelive is 7.1.65 and for HD4 and LS4 Series models you will need 8.0.17. Please ensure that your device is running at least this version in order to work with Signagelive. Firmware downloads can be found here and we would recommend using the 8.0.102 firmware.
- Download the correct firmware file from our Configuring your BrightSign article that has the latest recommended firmware for each device.
- Unzip the downloaded file and copy the .bsfw file to the root directory of your SD/microSD card.
- Insert the card into your BrightSign player.
- Power on the BrightSign player.
- The Pwr LED will flash during the update process to let you know the update is taking place.
How do I set or change my device’s time, date or timezone?
You can use the Signagelive BrightSign config tool to update the timezone settings on your BrightSign Player. To do this, you will require the following:
- BrightSign Player
- Micro SD card
- Laptop and Micro SD card reader
Follow the simple steps below to configure the timezone settings of your BrightSign Player:
- Open the BrightSign Config Tool
- In the Configuration section, select the timezone of the Player you are configuring
- Press ‘Generate’
- This will create a file named ‘settings.json’ which will be added to your downloads
- Insert the SD card into the SD card reader of your laptop
- Create a folder at the root of this SD card, and name it ‘Data’
- Add the ‘settings.json’ file to the Data folder
- Remove the SD card from your laptop and insert into the BrightSign Player
- Power cycle your Player
When your BrightSign Player powers on, it will now have been updated to the Timezone settings chosen during the above configuration process.
If you have any issues with the timezone configuration options, we suggest that you ensure http://time.brightsignnetwork.com can be reached through your Network/ firewall. You can read more about any specific URLs etc that may need to be opened in this article.
How can I use my BrightSign to automatically turn my screen on/off?
With the BrightSign device it is possible to use HDMI CEC to turn the screen on and off using the screen control settings in Signagelive. This is supported on all BrightSign devices, but you may need to enable it on your display. The option for this is likely in the settings page, and CEC has a range of brand names, some of which are provided below:
- AOC: E-link
- Hitachi: HDMI-CEC
- LG: SimpLink
- Mitsubishi: NetCommand for HDMI
- Onkyo: RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI)
- Panasonic: HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, or VIERA Link
- Philips: EasyLink
- Pioneer: Kuro Link
- Runco International: RuncoLink
- Samsung: Anynet+
- Sharp: Aquos Link
- Sony: BRAVIA Sync
- Toshiba: CE-Link or Regza Link
- Vizio: CEC
How do I configure my BrightSign Players WiFi connection?
You can use our Brightsign Config tool to create the .json file needed to configure your BrightSign Player to connect to any wired or wireless Network. To do this, you will require a blank SD card and a computer with an SD card reader in order to create the .json config file.
Please Note: This configuration should take place before Signagelive Application configuration, alternatively, use a blank SD card during this process to ensure the config file will run rather than automatically running the Signagelive Application.
The steps to complete this are as follows:
- Insert your SD card into the SD card reader and open file explorer before navigating to the root of the SD card.
- Create a new folder on the root of the SD and name it Data
- Open the Signagelive BrightSign Config tool
- Within the ‘Networking’ section of the tool, enter all relevant info for:
- Networking mode
- If Static IP is selected, you will then also need to configure the remaining properties, such as IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS 1 and 2
- Select either DHCP or Static IP
- Choose your Connection Type
- Select either Ethernet (wired) or Wireless
- If choosing Wireless, enter the Network SSID and Passphrase
- Select Generate
- Add the generated Network.json file to the Data folder created on the root of your SD Card.
- Insert the SD card into your BrightSign Player and power cycle to restart.
Your BrightSign Player will now have its required network config files allowing it to access the Network.
How can I change my Player orientation?
If you wish to change between landscape or portrait modes, you can do this by following the steps below:
- Connect a USB keyboard to your BrightSign Player
- Press CTRL+S to access the Settings menu
- Navigate to Screen Rotation using the Tab key
- Select the desired rotation
- Portrait option will either be 90 or 270 degree rotation depending on the connected display
- Press Enter key to confirm your rotation selection
Your BrightSign Player will reboot and launch into the Signagelive application, in its Native Portrait mode.
How can I get further support?
If you have any additional questions about changing the configuration of your BrightSign Player, please consult the BrightSign Knowledge Base, or speak with the Signagelive Support team.