This follow article will show you how to set up your Secure Dashboards feature in Signagelive to show PowerBI Dashboards.
Requirements before you begin:
- You must be on the Data Integrations page. For more information on this please view the How to access Data Integrations article.
- You must have a PowerBI account with a created Dashboard
What is PowerBI?
PowerBI is an interactive data visualisation tool created by Microsoft It allows for the creation of dashboards that can provide accessible insight into the data your organisation gathers. When used with Secure Dashboards, it can allow your dashboards to be shown on Sigangelive players without needing to create a public-facing URL.
Step 1: Configuring PowerBI in Secure Dashboards
Please NoteSignagelive can also display PowerBI dashboards without Secure Dashboards, but this required the Dashboards to have a publicly-accessibly URL, for a guide on settings this up instead, please take a look at Using the Microsoft Power BI App
First, navigate to the Secure Dashboard option in your Data Integrations application, from there, click Manage and then click the plus (+) button to add a new Dashboard.
On the new screen, you will need to change the following fields to match your use case:
- Name - Please set this to something clear that you can refer to in the future.
- Synchronization Schedule - Please change this to reflect how frequently you want the login to be authenticated
Next, you will want to configure the access to the PowerBI platform, for this, please change the settings in the following way:
- Login Type - Please choose "Smart"
- Credentials - Please use your PowerBI credentials, or create new securely-stored credentials if you have not done this already with the "Add New" button.
- Login Url - This should be set to "https://app.powerbi.com/"
Optionally, you may press the "Test" button to see if your login was successful, you will know it has been successful if the screenshot shows the default page that appears after logging in. If another screen appears, the authentication may not have taken place.
Press Save to save these settings.
You have now configured access to your PowerBI dashboards via Secure Dashboards. Next, you will want to add Pages, which will point to specific dashboards on the PowerBI platform.
Step 2: Adding Pages to your PowerBI Secure Dashboards
Pages refer to the individual PowerBI Dashboards you want to display in Signagelive you will want to create a unique page for each Dashboard you want to have access to.
Please NoteYou will only be able to publish the PowerBI Dashboards that have been linked as a Page. Providing your user credentials will not immediately give you access to all your created PowerBI dashboards.
While in the Edit view of the PowerBI integration, please click on the plus (+) button in the Pages section to create a new page. Then set the following settings:
- Name - Please provide a name that will identify this dashboard from other PowerBI dashboards
- Synchronization Scheduled - Feel free to leave this at "Use Website", but if this particular dashboard is updated more frequently, you may want to increase the Synchronization Schedule.
- Page URL - This should point to the specific URL of your PowerBI dashboard, and should look similar to this: "https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/reports/..."
- Screenshot Type - This should be set to Fullscreen
- Click on the green "Test" to ensure that your screenshots are appearing correctly
Press Save to save these settings, then press Cancel to return to the main configuration screen. From here, you can add more pages by repeating these steps for different PowerBI dashboards.