As part of the May 2016 update, we are pleased to introduce to you the Playlist Media Asset Actions feature which gives you the ability to use assets to call out to an external URL at the start of each piece of media.
With this new feature, there are some other reasons why you may wish to utilise this when using Signagelive:
- This will allow you to dynamically effect other parts of the environment dependant on the media playing on the screen.
- This will allow you to dynamically update NFC tags to show content relevant to the current media being played on the screen.
- This will allow you to affect the audio or lighting dependent on the media being played, with the assistance of a custom API.
Watch how to use this feature:
Adding your Playlist Media Asset Actions
The following section will show you how to use this feature with a step by step procedure, however at this stage it is important to note that this feature only becomes available once the Playlist you are hoping to use has been saved within your Signagelive network. The steps will there show you the procedure from the understanding you've created a Playlist and now are opening this to add your actions:
- To begin please click on the Content menu and then from the drop-down select the Playlists option.
- From the Playlists option, please select the Manage menu item and this will load the Playlist Manager screen with all of your saved Playlists shown.
- Please now double-click the saved Playlist that you would like to add Playlist Media Asset Actions to and this will open your Playlist within the Playlist Creator with your assets populated on the timeline. You will be able find the timeline at the bottom of the Playlist Creator.
- You can now open the Playlist Media Asset Actions feature by right clicking the desired asset on your timeline you wish to add the functionality to and then click the Properties option from the menu that is shown.
You will now have found the feature and will notice you have two options available that you can use at this stage - "Uses Write Data To File" and "Call URL Action".
Call URL Action
To add the "Call URL Action" option you will need to use the Properties window to click on the Call URL tickbox and then enter the URL you would like to use.
By setting this option you can use your selected asset to call out to an external webpage at the start of the selected asset being played.
Uses Write Data To File
To add the "Uses Write Data To File" option you will need to use the Properties window to click on the Uses Write Data To File tickbox and then enter the Filename and Data URL you would like to write to.
By setting this option you can use your selected asset to potentially effect other parts of the environment or update data depending on the asset being played at the time.