When you are ready to begin using a Nested Playlist feature then you can begin the setup process by dragging and dropping the Nested Playlist asset from the Control Assets folder. When you have added the asset to the timeline you will be presented with a Configure Nested Playlist window and will need to go through the following steps:
Give your Nested Playlist a Name
- When the Configure Nested Playlist window is showing you will firstly need to give your Nested Playlist a name.
- When you have added a name, you will be asked to select a Playlist to Insert and will be need to select whether you would like to: a) Generate Empty Playlist or b) Use Existing Playlist.
- You can now either select the Generate Empty Playlist option then your nested playlist will start as a blank template. If you select the Use Existing Playlist option then you will be presented with the following Select Playlist feature and can use the search to find any playlist on your current network.
Setting your Playback Mode
You can now define the Playback Mode by selecting whether you would like your media to Play All Assets or Play Next Asset.
- Play All Assets: If you select this option, then each time your Nested Playlist is called to play within your Parent Playlist then you will expect for every media asset to be played on one occasion before moving back to play the next asset in the Parent Playlist.
- Play Next Asset: If you select this option, then each time your Nested Playlist is called to play within your Parent Playlist then you will expect for one asset to be played before moving back to play the next asset in the Parent Playlist. Each time the Nested Playlist is called it will play one media asset item at a time and will effectively be moving through the running order each time it is called.
Setting your Playback Duration
You can now define the Playback Duration by selecting either to Play to Length or Play to Set Duration.
- Play to Set Duration: If you select this option, then each asset within your Nested Playlist will play to the duration you have manually set on the Playlist Timeline. If you have set your own durations then these will take priority over the durations read from the media files uploaded.
- Play to Length: If you select this option, then each asset within your Nested Playlist will be played to the duration read by the signagelive Playlist Creator. Each asset will have a pre-determined length of time and this will be the duration that will be applied to your playlist.
Setting your Play Order
When you have selected your desired Playback Duration, you will now need to set your Play Order which will determine the running order your Nested Playlist assets will appear on your player. The options available to you in the drop-down menu are Normal, Random, Reverse, Play top X Items.
- Normal: If you select this option, then running order of assets will be standard and they will play in the order as setup on the Playlist Timeline.
- Random: If you select this option, then running order of assets will be random and they will play in an unstructured manner.
- Reverse: If you select this option, then running order of assets will be played in a reverse order as they appear on the timeline.
- Play Top X Items: By selecting this option then you can define a number of top items that your Nested Playlist will play. By selecting this option a new Number of Items: field will become available and you can enter a numeric value. For example if you wanted to play only the first 3 assets in your Nested Playlist then you would set this in your Number of Items: field.
Finishing your Configuration of a Nested Playlist
When you have finished setting up the Configure Nested Playlist window, and ready to proceed, you can now click on the green OK button and your Nested Playlist will be added to your parent playlist timeline.
Your Nested Playlist will now have been added to your parent playlist timeline and will look like as follows below: